What To Do When You’re Injured In A Minor Car Accident
5 September 2018No Comments
Minor accidents often happen, whether a door hit the side of your car, you ran over something in your driveway, or you got in a fender bender. Thankfully, small accidents tend to be easier to resolve.
According to Anti-Collision Radar System (SDS), “Rear-end crashes totaled 1.8 million in 2013.” Although minor accidents do not always result in injury, it’s still possible to suffer injuries. Minor car accidents can be frustrating, but the Corpus Christi auto accident lawyers at the Bandas Law Firm can help you settle your case and move forward.
We know life is busy, and although minor accidents aren’t as disruptive as severe ones, there can still be plenty of work that needs to be completed. In between getting your car repaired and handling an insurance company, it can be challenging to deal with alone. That’s where we can assist you. A Corpus Christi auto accident lawyer at the Bandas Law Firm understands the issues you face and can relieve some of the stress you’ve probably experienced after your accident. If you or someone you know has been in a minor auto accident, keep these tips in mind.
Tips After a Minor Accident
- Check for any injuries. Even though the accident was minor, injuries can still occur. If you’re uncertain about an injury, call emergency personnel. In some cases, injuries do not cause immediate pain but can begin to hurt or cause problems down the line. If you have suffered from an injury due to another driver’s negligence, you need one of our Corpus Christi auto accident lawyers to assist you with your case. We can help you receive compensation to cover medical bills or any damage to your property.
- If you see any smoke, fire, or sparks move away from the vehicle immediately. If you smell gasoline, it’s also important to step away from the vehicle.
- If possible, move your car out of the road, because you don’t want to block traffic or be hit by another car.
- Make sure to exchange contact information, such as insurance policy information, phone numbers, and email addresses, if another driver was involved.
- Call the police. Even if the accident was not severe, it’s essential to have a police report filed. In some cases, your insurance company may want a copy of the report. If the accident was not your fault, it’s especially important, because one of our Corpus Christi auto accident lawyers could use the report as evidence to support your case.
- Take photos of the accident, and make sure you capture both cars and from various angles.
- Do not make any negotiations after the accident, such as agreeing not to call the police or inform your insurance company. It can be challenging to stay calm after an accident, but don’t allow your emotions to run your decisions.
- Make sure to contact your insurance company. Even if the accident was not your fault, it’s imperative you still inform them of the accident.
- If you have suffered an injury, call a Corpus Christi auto accident lawyer at the Bandas Law Firm today.
Do a Follow-Up
After you have been in a minor accident, it’s necessary to do a follow-up with the insurance company and the police. Even if you believe your case is not significant, it’s good to follow-up no matter what.
- Contact the police to request a copy of the accident report. The copy is for your records.
- After you have received an estimate for the damages to your vehicle, make sure to file an insurance claim against the driver that caused the accident.
- If you have been in an accident and the driver did not have insurance, you could file for a small claims action against the driver.
If you’re uncertain about how to complete a follow-up or file a claim, talk with a Corpus Christi auto accident lawyer.
Call A Corpus Christi Auto Accident Lawyer
If you have been injured or are struggling with insurance companies over your claim, a Corpus Christi auto accident lawyer at the Bandas Law Firm is willing to help you with your case.
We understand that even minor accidents can be stressful. Don’t worry. Our attorneys know the laws surrounding accidents, and we want to stand alongside you.