Safety Tips To Avoid Motorcycle Accidents And Injuries
25 April 2012No Comments
Motorcycles are inherently more dangerous than passenger cars and trucks, since they do not come with seatbelts to protect the safety of the rider, and leave riders far more exposed than other vehicles do. Unfortunately, it doesn’t take much for a routine motorcycle ride to turn into a devastating motorcycle accident, especially when other drivers become distracted or inattentive on the road. For this reason and others, motorcycle riders should practice safe and courteous techniques when riding on Texas roadways, to avoid serious motorcycle accidents and injuries. Safety should always come first, whether you’re driving a car, a truck, or riding a motorcycle. Follow these safety tips to prevent the tragic injury and loss of life caused by motorcycle accidents in Corpus Christi every year.
Top Ten Tips For Preventing Motorcycle Accidents
- Make sure other drivers can see you. Keep your headlamps on even during the day, wear bright clothes, and avoid positioning yourself behind a large truck or in a car’s blind spot.
- When you’re riding in traffic at speeds under 40 mph, keep a two-second gap between you and the vehicle in front of you. When you’re out on the open road, the gap should be three or four seconds or more, depending on your speed.
- At intersections, which are particularly dangerous, always check for traffic coming from the side and from behind.
- When passing, always check your blind spot and don’t try to overtake another vehicle if a corner is coming up.
- Wear a clear faceshield without scratches, as a scratch can refract the light coming from headlights and cause confusion.
- When riding, always evaluate potential hazards, including railroad tracks, pot holes and turning cars, so you can act appropriately.
- Always wear protective gear, including a helmet, a jacket, and proper footwear and gloves.
- Keep up on motorcycle maintenance, especially brakes, to prevent any dangerous malfunctions while riding.
- Never operate a motorcycle under the influence of drugs or alcohol, which can impair your riding and slow your reactions.
- Don’t share lanes. Drivers don’t expect to share their lane with another vehicle, and a quick lane change or accidental drifting can have devastating consequences for both of you.
Contact a Corpus Christi Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Texas roadways can be a dangerous place for motorcycle riders, especially when traveling at high speeds or in hazardous road or weather conditions. Unfortunately, even riders who follow these motorcycle safety tips may find themselves injured in an accident caused by another driver’s negligence. If you or a loved one has suffered serious injuries in a motorcycle accident in Texas, contact our Corpus Christi motorcycle accident attorneys at Bandas Law Firm today. Determining liability is extremely important in motorcycle accidents, and our experienced personal injury lawyers can help you pursue the compensation you deserve for your injuries, medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.