Understanding Bicycle Injuries and Fatalities by the Numbers
Bicycles are no match for motor vehicles when it comes to a traffic collision. With no protection other than a helmet, a bicyclist can sustain a catastrophic injury that comes with life-long consequences. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), head injuries are the most common cause of death and serious disability in bicycle-related crashes. Here are the stats you need to know.
Bicycle Fatality and Injury Facts
- Helmet Use - In 2019, 127 people died in a bicycle crash despite wearing a helmet.
- Common Injuries - The most common injuries associated with bicycle crashes are head injuries and fractures.
- Fatalities by Age - 90% of bicyclists deaths were adults 20 years and older.
- Summer Season - Most bicycle crash deaths happen during the summer season.
- Traffic Crash Deaths - Each year bicyclist deaths account for 2% of all motor vehicle crash deaths and in 2019, 843 bicyclists were fatally injured.
Injured in a Bicycle Accident? We Can Help.
When a careless driver hits a bicyclist, the injuries can be severe and life-threatening. When going through the healing process, the last thing that should be on your mind is fighting the insurance companies for your right to receive compensation for medical bills, treatments, and therapies. Let us help ease your burdens.
We are here to walk you through every step of the process so you can rest assured you have the support you need.
Contact Bandas Law Firm, P.C. today at (361) 238-2789 to learn how we can help you seek justice.