Understanding Car Accident Injuries
Being involved in a car accident, whether minor or severe, can put you and other motorists at risk of sustaining a devastating injury. Even when wearing a seatbelt and having a vehicle that is equipped with airbags, the following injuries are not uncommon among victims of a car crash.
Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI)
Traumatic brain injuries (also falls under the category of catastrophic injuries) are not uncommon when it comes to a car crash. TBIs can impact a victim’s life and affect a person’s speech, memory, cognitive skills, and motor function. Severe brain trauma can cause psychological problems as well. The following are the most common types of TBIs:
- Concussions are caused by a bump or blow to the head that forces the brain to bounce around the skull, which can damage brain cells.
- Contusions are caused by impact to the head, resulting in bleeding or bruising of the brain.
- Diffuse Axonal is caused by shaking or rotational force of the brain, which can tear brain nerve fibers.
- Penetration is caused by object impact that forces bone fragments and other parts of the head, such as hair or skin, into the brain.
Spinal Cord Injuries
Also a catastrophic injury, a spinal cord injury after a car accident, can have life-long devastating effects. A spinal cord injury can result in the following long-term problems
- Paralysis (tetraplegia, quadriplegia, paraplegia)
- Loss of bowel control/bladder control
- Loss of movement
- Loss of sensation
- Loss of sexual function
- Chronic pain
Chest pain may seem minor, but before discounting it as nothing, be sure to see a doctor as soon as possible after your car accident. Chest pain can be a symptom of the following:
- Fractured or bruised ribs
- Muscle strain
- Sternum injuries
- Other internal organ injuries
Other Car Accident Injuries
While the above can be severe and life-threatening, the following can also cause a car accident victim a lot of pain and suffering:
- Broken bones
Involved in a Car Crash? Contact a Corpus Christi Car Accident Lawyer
Car accident claims are complicated. Dealing with insurance companies who try every tactic to deny your claim can add more frustration to the process. At Bandas Law Firm, P.C., our car accident attorneys know the laws and how to deal with insurance companies that don’t always cooperate when it comes to proper settlements. Let us help you recover the money you deserve from your accident.
Contact Bandas Law Firm, P.C. today at (361) 238-2789 to learn how we can assist you.