How Road Hazards Cause Car Accidents
No matter how much driving experience you have, being involved in an accident is often out of your control — even when driving defensively. However, knowing the common road problems that are a menace to all drivers can help you be proactive regarding road safety. Here’s what to look out for.
Distracted driving can happen in many different ways, but they all have one thing in common: the driver’s eyes are off the road. The following common distractions are catalysts for serious car crashes:
- Texting/talking while driving
- Eating or drinking while driving
- Adjusting the car radio
- Talking to car passengers
- Grooming while driving
- Using navigation devices or reading maps
Driving while fatigued can be just as dangerous as driving while intoxicated. Though driving while tired and drowsy impairs judgment, it can also lead to falling asleep at the wheel. Warning signs of driving while fatigued are:
- Trouble focusing on the road
- Repeated yawning or rubbing eyes
- Wandering thoughts
- Feeling restless or irritable
- Rolling down the window or turning up the radio to stay awake
- Heavy feeling on eyelids
It’s no secret that potholes are an annoyance. Not only can they damage your tires, rims, and suspension, but they can also cause a driver to lose control of their car. A pothole can creep up on you in the blink of an eye. Here are some safety tips on how to handle them.
- Maintain a safe distance between you and the car in front of you for easier spotting of potholes.
- Use caution when approaching a puddle. A pothole could be lurking underneath.
- Ensure your tires are inflated according to the manufacturer's recommendations.
- Keep on top of car maintenance to ensure suspension and tires are in good condition.
Other Causes of Car Accidents
Some other problems that can cause severe car accidents are:
- Inclement weather (slick road conditions or limited visibility)
- Wildlife crossing
- Tire blowouts
- Missing or hidden road signs
- Malfunctioning traffic lights
Contact a Corpus Christi Car Accident Lawyer
Insurance companies don’t make car accident claims easy, and they will look for every mistake or loophole to deny your claim. At Bandas Law Firm, P.C., our car accident attorneys know the laws and how to deal with insurance companies that don’t always cooperate when it comes to proper settlements. Let us help you recover the money you deserve from your accident.
Contact Bandas Law Firm, P.C. today at (361) 238-2789 to learn how we can assist you.