Whether you’re heading to the beach or the park with your furry friend this summer, it’s in your best interest to read up on these safety tips to keep your pet safe in the car.
Many of us consider our pets as a member of our family. And as with any member of your family, it’s important to know how to keep them safe and secure in a moving vehicle.
When pets are not safely secured in the car, they can move about the vehicle and distract you while you’re driving. This dangerous distraction can be deadly, especially when traveling at high speeds on the freeway. Read up on the following safety tips to ensure a safe journey for both you and your pet:
- Put your pet in a well-ventilated crate while the vehicle is in motion. Find a crate that is the proper size for your pet. The crate should be large enough for your pet to stand up and turn around.
- If you have a dog, consider purchasing a dog harness seat belt. Dog harness seat belts are good for well-behaved dogs. They secure your dog in one position with a strap that plugs into the seat belt.
- Use a zipline harness. Zipline harnesses are designed for younger or more active dogs who have a hard time sitting still. The zipline restrains your dog to the backseat while still allowing them to move around.
- Install a backseat barrier. Backseat barriers are suitable for larger dogs that have a hard time staying still in a smaller car. The barrier keeps your dog in the backseat should the car come to a sudden stop.
In addition to securing your pet properly in the vehicle, it’s also a good idea to practice the following road trip rules to keep your pet happy during the drive:
- Keep the air conditioner on during the drive.
- Plan plenty of stops for your pet to use the bathroom and stretch their legs.
- Don’t feed your pet while driving, as this could cause the pet to choke if the car moves suddenly.
- Don’t let your pet hang out of the window.
Following the above safety precautions will help ensure both you and your pet have a safe and enjoyable time in the car.
Unfortunately, even if you do take all proper safety precautions while driving, it is likely that other drivers will not. If you have been involved in a car accident due to someone else’s negligence, our Corpus Christi car accident attorneys can help you recover the compensation you deserve.
Contact Bandas Law Firm, P.C. at (361) 238-2789 to learn how we can assist you.