Catastrophic Injuries and The Recovery Process
A catastrophic injury is one that can be described as severe and life-altering, leaving someone unable to function as they did before. Not only can a catastrophic injury cause serious physical challenges, many people who are the victim of such an injury often suffer overwhelming emotional difficulties too.
When it comes to surviving a critical accident that caused a catastrophic injury, here’s what can be expected during the recovery process.
Examples of Catastrophic Injuries
Some of the most common catastrophic injuries may include the following:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Eye injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Severe burns
While a catastrophic injury can be caused by any type of accident, many catastrophic injuries result from the following:
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Construction site accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Defective products
- Acts of violence
- Accidents during military duty
- Trips and falls
Types of Treatments and Therapies
Depending on the type of catastrophic injury, victims may need to undergo one or more of the following treatments and therapies.
- Rehabilitation therapy may include relearning skills such as walking, cooking, and practicing self-care. This may also include physical therapy, occupational therapy, and cognitive therapy.
- Psychological counseling can help victims address emotional issues as well as ways to cope and improve emotional well-being after a catastrophic injury.
- Multiple surgical procedures may be necessary to avoid sustaining any additional damage from the injury.
- Medications may be needed to treat symptoms from an injury such as muscle relaxants or anticoagulants to prevent blood clots, or anti-anxiety medication to reduce the feelings of nervousness that often comes after a catastrophic injury.
Unfortunately, many victims of a catastrophic injury need long-term treatments and may need such treatment for a lifetime in some cases.
Contact a Corpus Christi Personal Injury Lawyer
If you or a loved one has sustained a catastrophic injury due to another’s negligence, our Corpus Christi personal injury attorneys are here to help. At Bandas Law Firm, we understand that a catastrophic injury is often physically, emotionally, and financially life-altering. Let us help you recover the compensation you deserve.
Contact us today at (361) 238-2789 to learn how we can assist you.