Studies Show Nursing Home Abuse is an Epidemic
Sadly, elderly people are often sought by perpetrators of abuse because they are seen as an easy target, as they are typically weaker and less able to defend themselves. They may also be more reliant on others for care and support.
Nursing home staff members can be responsible for abusing residents, either out of malice, lack of training, or understanding about how to provide appropriate care. This infographic illustrates the concerning facts.
Nursing Home Abuse Statistics
Each year, hundreds of thousands of elders are victims of abuse, neglect, and exploitation in U.S. nursing homes. The statistics below provide a glimpse into the magnitude of this problem.
- Government statistics estimate that 1 in 3 nursing home residents experience some form of abuse, neglect, or mistreatment during their stay. This could be:
- Physical abuse
- Sexual abuse
- Emotional/Psychological abuse
- Financial exploitation
- Elders who live in nursing homes are at greater risk for abuse than those who live at home or in assisted living facilities
- Of elder abuse perpetrators, the vast majority are men (97%)
- High levels of institutional abuse are categorized by the following and in order of prevalence:
- Psychological abuse (33.4%)
- Physical abuse (14.1%)
- Financial abuse (13.8%)
- Neglect (11.6%)
- Sexual abuse (1.9%)
- Nearly 1 in 2 elder adults with cognitive impairment (dementia) experiences abuse
Elder Abuse Often Goes Unreported
Many cases of nursing home abuse go unreported. This could be due to several factors:
- The victim is reluctant to speak out
- Family members are unaware of the abuse
- Staff members cover up the abuse
Our Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers Are Here For You.
If your loved one has been subjected to nursing home abuse, please don't hesitate to speak out. It is vital to get help and support to ensure that your loved one is safe and receives their care. At Bandas Law Firm, P.C. can help you get the justice and closure your family deserves. Managing Partner Christopher Bandas is a highly regarded member of the legal community and rated "Distinguished" by his peers in the Martindale-Hubbell® publication. No case is too big or too small, and our team is prepared to protect your rights.
When you need legal assistance, “Better Get Bandas!” Call (361) 238-2789 or fill out this short form to schedule a free consultation with a member of our team. We are available for calls 24/7.